Update on the Home Front  

Posted by Jordan Jones

A copy of the letter I am giving out to families this week...



May 13, 2010

Dear Collide Families,

I just want to start off by thanking you for your willingness to trust your children to my spiritual leadership this past year. I shouldn’t be surprised, but somehow I have been overwhelmed by your support and encouragement. However, I have not been shocked by the transformation God has led our community through this year. It is the story God has been writing since the Fall of His beloved creation: drawing men back to himself. I could speak for hours about the culture of transformation we have desired to initiate within the Student Ministries, but my chief aim in writing you today is to share parts of my heart and where God is guiding me and how that collides with my Trinity family.

Colossians 3:17 illuminates the Christ-followers mission: “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Translation: Our lives are about making the name of Jesus famous. That somehow because of our interaction with people, both in the things we say and the things we do, the people that surround us will crave Jesus himself. I tell our students all the time: let the unique passions God has implanted into you be a billboard for the name of Jesus to be made more famous.

When I think about our families here at Trinity, I see God painting a canvas of distinctive passions and gifts in each of us that all come together to create a beautiful portrait of the advancing Kingdom. However, the colors of that portrait are dulled when we run from visions and dreams God has placed deep in our hearts.

I write to you today with a sad, but enlivened heart. Beginning next fall (2011), I will be pursuing a law degree with an emphasis on human rights. I truly believe this will allow me to embrace more fully the dreams God has already placed in my heart. With that in mind, I will be stepping down as the Director of Student Ministries here at Trinity in August 2011. Undoubtedly, I will miss being a part of the transformation God is initiating among our students. The last four years have humbled, stretched, liberated and at times confused me. Words don’t suffice. However, I have not been able to shake the passion of social justice that God has embedded deep in my soul. Please know this was a gut-wrenching decision and one in which I relentlessly pursued God and trustworthy counsel.  

I understand numerous questions abound from a revelation like that. The fact that this is still a year away allows the ministry to have a more natural transition of leadership. Currently, the plan is for me to continue in leadership over both middle and high school ministries with our present staff staying in tact. We plan on beginning a search for the individual who would take my place beginning in December of this year. Our desire is to have this individual in place by May 2011 so we could have a few months to work side-by-side. Please persistently pray that Satan wouldn’t use this to disrupt the momentous transformation God has been commencing in the last 6 months, because that transformation certainly isn’t about me.


With a heart of appreciation,



Jordan Jones
Student Ministries Director

This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 at Wednesday, May 19, 2010 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 comments