Palestine/Israel  

Posted by Jordan Jones in ,

I might cause a little stir with this post...so just a friendly reminder that these views are solely mine and can not be applied to those of Trinity Church. 


O and one more disclaimer...I am not trying to convince you of anything. That is not my role, but the Spirit's. I am merely outlining the turmoil that has existed in my heart for the last two weeks. 


I have never had quite the experience as I have had the last 12 days. 


We took 12 students & leaders to Bethlehem (actually a town right outside Bethlehem called Bet Sahour) which are both cities that are officially a part of Palestine, an occupied territory of the state of Israel. I have to admit...for how much history, geography & politics I like to pride myself of knowing, I was completely ignorant to what is going on in Israel right now. 


I was unaware of the wall that has been constructed by Israel (labeled the "Separation Wall" by Palestinians and the "Security Fence" by Israelis), not on the border between Israel and Palestine, but as much as 20 km into the Palestinian border. The wall stands as tall as 25 feet in certain areas. In addition to the concrete wall and fencing materials used in the construction of the structure, sections of Israel's Separation Barrier additionally include electrified fencing, two-meter-deep trenches, roads for patrol vehicles, electronic ground/fence sensors, thermal imaging and video cameras, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), sniper towers, and razor wire. If Israel carries out it's current plans for the continued construction of the wall, this separation wall will be four times as long as the Berlin Wall and twice as high in some parts. (Click here for a picture)


We visited one home that was completely boxed in by the wall- their house literally stood 15 feet from walls on three sides. You could see bullet holes that dotted their rooftop...they will be shot at if they ever set foot on their roof. Why? Because they will be standing at the same level as the top of the wall. I think the residents just wished they were told this instead of having to find out on their own...


I obviously do not believe any sort of reconciliation can happen when a wall of this magnitude is created. Taking away even that factor, I cannot support the blatant disregard of UN resolutions and the Oslo Peace Accords by creating a wall, not on an agreed-upon border but smack in the middle of Palestinian lands. I was also dismayed to see Israel blatantly disregarding those two agreements by continuing in their practice of settlements in the West Bank (Palestine). Settlements are when Israelis forcibly remove Palestinians from their home to build a mini-community/city of just Israelis. These settlements were outlawed based on UN Security Council Resolution 446 in 1979: 


"Determines that the policy and practices of Israel in establishing settlements in the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967 have no legal validity and constitute a serious obstruction to achieving a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East."


I know what some of you might be thinking: Aren't the Jews God's chosen people? And weren't they promised this land?


I think there are doubts in my mind regarding the legitimacy of the Jews still being labeled "God's Chosen People" since Jesus' presence and sacrifice here on Earth. I am wrestling with this issue based on several key themes in the New Testament, including:



 For if there had been nothing wrong with that first covenant, no place would have been sought for another. 
But God found fault with the people and said:
   "The time is coming, declares the Lord,
      when I will make a new covenant
   with the house of Israel
      and with the house of Judah.
 
It will not be like the covenant
      I made with their forefathers
   when I took them by the hand
      to lead them out of Egypt,
   because they did not remain faithful to my covenant,
      and I turned away from them, declares the Lord.
 
This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel
      after that time, declares the Lord.
   I will put my laws in their minds
      and write them on their hearts.
   I will be their God,
      and they will be my people.
 
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
      or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,'
   because they will all know me,
      from the least of them to the greatest.
 
For I will forgive their wickedness
      and will remember their sins no more."

 By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear. (Hebrews 8)


The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless (for the law made nothing perfect), and a better hope is introduced, by which we draw near to God. (Hebrews 7:18-19)


There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Galatians 3:28-29)


For you, brothers, became imitators of God's churches in Judea, which are in Christ Jesus: You suffered from your own countrymen the same things those churches suffered from the Jews, who killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and also drove us out. They displease God and are hostile to all men in their effort to keep us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved. In this way they always heap up their sins to the limit. The wrath of God has come upon them at last. (1 Thessalonians 2:14-16) 
* I do not believe this is referring to all Jews, but it is further evidence that Jews don't just have a "free" card to exert themselves in God's name. 


The reality is, I haven't come to a conclusion on this issue (and probably won't). I do know that Scripture clearly outlines that God's chosen people are those who belong to Christ, whether they were once Muslims, or once Jews or agnostic or whatever. 


But I also know that God deeply moans for justice. His Scriptures are dotted with His heart toward it. He demands it. And so why are the people that He created to be the "light of all nations" (if that's the title they desire to maintain)...why are they trampling on the God-given rights of others? What happened to loving our neighbor? I just can't believe God cares more about the dust and pavement of land more than the flesh and blood of his creation that he "made in his own image". Israel has become obsessed with the land (yes, that was promised to them), but at the mercy of people who God desires to bring back to himself. I am seeing a whole people group trampled on by the "people of God" and it turns me inside out, because I can't help but think that it is hurting the chance to reach them with Jesus. 


I met Palestinian after Palestinian who weren't plotting the demise of Israel...just loving people who wanted to be able to go to the beach, who wanted to go the movies, who wanted to be treated as humans. People who immediately treated me as family. I pray that they see that God is running after them so hard and desires for them to be re-united with Him through the blood of Christ. 


Here's the biggest stinger for me: Modern Israel is not a theocracy!!! Anytime God made mention of the reality of the state of Israel, it was always in the context of a theocracy. Modern Israel is nothing short of a humanistic, capitalist nation. There is not a Scripture that I have seen that denotes that this was God's desire. 



A couple of websites that I am might push you to: http://www.cpt.org/work/palestine and http://www.shovrimshtika.org/index_e.asp


You might mention the fact that my post is heavily one-sided. I would actually agree. Because I think most of us have heard decades of the other side...I just wanted to add a little more to the story.


Despite all of these hard realities that were pushed into the forefront of my mind and heart, it was glorious to see the Western Wall, Jericho, the birthplace of Jesus, the Dead Sea, and so on. I know countless Christians who will never have this honor...I don't take it for granted.


Wow...I could probably write for 2 more hours. But if you are still reading to this point, I am shocked and amazed at that! Thanks for reading the achings of my heart. I hope you venture into this issue with me as well. 

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at Tuesday, August 03, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the .

0 comments